The High Lakes Youth Leadership Program will empower teens to become confident leaders through various acts of service by increasing awareness and involvement in creating a safer, cleaner, more enjoyable community.
Develop youth to become confident leaders.
• Empower teens to make positive choices.
• Engage youth to be involved in community service projects.
• Expose youth to the wide array of community and business opportunities in Union County.
• Encourage youth to become active participants and lead change for their community.
• Improve personal leadership skills.
• Expand social networks to new community members.
• Increase awareness of the opportunities the community offers.
• Increase their understanding of techniques used to develop positive school and community climate.
• Practice written and oral communication skills.
• Develop a process for peer-to-peer learning.
• Increase understanding of the concepts of conflict resolutions.
• Develop strong student and community linkages.
• Improve student motivation in academic endeavors.
• Complement the Iowa Core Curriculum and 21st Century Skills.
• Create a corps of informed student leaders.
• Build positive collaboration for community and school development.
• Engage students in community issues and provide grassroots input.
• Get an early start on developing the next generation of community leaders.